Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 3 May 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Collins USA
Page Count: 352 pages, Paperback (International Edition)
Date Published:  April 24th  2012

                                                       Goodreads Blurb:
 
 For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
 
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Thoughts: Loved it. Loved it! Loved it!!! 

The Selection is quite the simple read, but the book is still amazing. I think I read it in all of 3 or 4 hours... I couldn't put it down! No, I don't watch 'The Bachelor' or any of those shows, so I can't really compare the two, but yes, I did notice some... Similarities between the book and show, (from what I've heard). But that being said, I didn't care one bit about that.This book is definitely one that you will either love or hate. Me? I loved it!!!

When I first saw that we had gotten the international edition (in paperback), I flipped out.  I was so excited! So I bought it right away and started reading it in the car on our way home from the mall. I didn't even look at the other books I was currently reading. The first few pages sucked me in and I was hooked. Like I said, it was a simple read. The vocabulary used wasn't anything magnificent but it was still good. I flew through the novel in about 3 or 4 hours straight, staying up well past my 'bedtime'. 

The plot is quite the interesting one... 35 girls are selected to be in the running for the crown and the title as Prince Maxon's wife. America isn't interested. But when her secret boyfriend practically forces her to enter, (You're probably thinking: 'Dude, what the heck?') she gets in. America is automatically seen as a huge threat to the other girls, with her stunning red hair and the fact that she's Maxon's 'favorite'. The girl drama was really quite amusing. None of them realize that America doesn't want the crown and that her and Maxon are really, only friends. (Or are they? *Wiggles eyebrows up and down*) But obviously, the relationship between Maxon and her is something special and obviously a bit more than an innocent friendship. I loved Maxon from the get-go and I will be rooting for him the whole way through. You'd think the guy who has 35 girls living in his house wouldn't be the one you're hoping wins the girl, but trust me... He is the one. ;)

Though some things that happened within the book are a bit predictable, I was continuously entranced with the romance and the glamor and the political drama. Oh, yes. The Selection is not just some prince-and-princess-matchmaking love story. It's a... Shall I say mild dystopian, as well. I'm hoping in the next books there will be more of a dystopic aspect to the story and we will learn a lot more about the two rebel groups who continuously attack the castle. There is definitely something suspicious about the king, in my opinion. I'm going to guess there's some crazy secret that needs to stay hidden in order for everything to run smoothly. But that's probably not gonna happen. :P

I'd suggest this book to anyone who likes good, swoon-worthy romance. There were some parts that I literally just sighed audibly and said "awww" or something like that. If you're looking for a book to read quickly that's fun and romantic, but still has a bit of that dystopia feel to it, The Selection could be perfect. I am now pining for book two. I bet it will have an equally gorgeous cover and hopefully it will be just as good, if not better than the first. 

Have a great day/night, everyone!
-Kristy

3 comments:

  1. Kiera Cass, you have made me fall in love with the characters in this book! You created this wonderful world, this wonderful setting, and these two wonderful guys! I want the next book now! How am I going to wait to get it? I need it right this very second or else I'm going to cry! And I don't care if you haven't written or finished it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about getting this book ... thx for the review it looks like a TBR for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already have this book on my shelf but haven't read it yet. So many books to choose! *sigh

    I hope I'll enjoy this one. I read mixed reviews about it. I hope I fall into the positive reader :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...