Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Monday 14 May 2012

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Author: Wendy Higgins
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 464 pages, Paperback, 1st Edition
Date Published:  May 1st 2012
What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.

Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?






My Thoughts: OH MY GOODNESS. I usually don't like angel books. They're just not my cup of tea. Other than Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, I can never seem to get through them. But this book... Different story.

 The chilling prologue of Sweet Evil sucked me in and the rest kept me wanting more and more. Like Anna attempting to find a flaw in Kaian's physical appearance, I couldn't find a single thing I didn't like about this book. The entire time I was reading I was half expecting it to suddenly become absolutely terrible and the other half of me was devouring the book as fast as I could. The angel and demon lore that Wendy Higgins has come up with is so unique and interesting and... well... Not boring. This is definitely a book for paranormal lovers, and I'd say read it, even if you don't normally like angel books.

 I'm not entirely sure what lured me into wanting this book, but all I know is that as soon as I saw it in the store, I grabbed it. The cover is absolutely gorgeous and it completely represents the equally gorgeous story inside. I felt so connected with Anna, the main character. She was always the good girl in life, and whenever she did something remotely 'bad' like swear, she'd get gasps and looks of horror from her friends. But then she finds out she's not human... She's half-demon and half-angel. The demon side of her is pulling her towards drugs and alcohol and to survive the wrath of Lucifer himself, Anna must influence other teens to drink. Just like the other nephilim of the twelve sins represented. I'm not saying I'm pulled towards drinking alcohol and doing drugs, but I was so in tune with her 'good-girl' side. She is probably one of my new favorite book characters!

Once again, everything about this book, I loved. NOTHING was wrong with it in my eyes. Maybe because I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did? I don't know. I loved all the characters. I loved the traveling and the paranormal stuff and the romance. EVERYTHING! What is this sorcery? I cannot stop thinking about it! Because of course, there was Kaidan, the son of the Duke of Lust. Duke of Lust. You can practically see his hotness. I feel like such a teenage girl right now, but I guess that's okay, since I am. The fact that Kaidan was literally the ultimate playboy but cared so much for Anna.... EEEEEP! Okay, sorry everyone. Just a little bit fan-girling. I'm not normally so into a book like this. Okay yes I am. Anyhow, all of the supporting characters were done so well. I loved each and every single one of them, even the bad guys. Wendy Higgins has created this incredible angelic tale that I cannot get enough of. It's taken me forever to write about this book, because I am just so in love with it. I'm surprised this isn't more rambly than it already is...

If you don't like angel books, but think you could like one that is actually incredible amazingly awesome.... Pick up a copy of Sweet Evil. I am 90% certain you will love it. Some people won't, I get that. But if you have read it, let me know what you thought! Oh, and finally: Wendy Higgins, welcome to my list of authors of favorite series.

 Have an incredible day/night everyone!
-Kristy

3 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this book - definitely one I'm going to have to pick up! I love it when you enjoy a book so much more than you originally think you're going to!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh, this is torture. I really really really want to read this book and then you write such an enthusiastic review. Now the waiting is even harder, haha. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pre-ordered this, thank you for the review! I wasn't exactly sure what the book involved or whether many people liked it. I love the sound of Kaidan - Duke of Lust ;)

    Hope my copy comes soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...